Multi-day kayak camping trips to see Killer Whales with all the comforts of Wildcoast’s wilderness camp!
Our exclusive, oceanfront campsite is one of a kind, situated beside a world famous killer whale reserve.
Given its permanent summertime base, our campsite, which we lovingly call Orca Camp, allows for some unique kayak camping trips. Our high staff to guest ratio allows for additional time to kayak in Orca territory in small groups, while others may prefer to relax on the beach, awaiting the whales with a good book. Enjoy a magical sunrise paddle, piercing the glassy waters and listening for Orca blows beyond the mist. Or, take a sunset paddle to view the awe-inspiring hues of the sun as it goes down – a signature Orca Camp feature.
The beautiful creek beside the camp is great for swimming or a dip after a native-style beach sauna. And on occasion, after the sun goes down, spectacular phosphorescence lights up the creek. With our unobstructed view into whale habitat, spectacular scenery, and remote location, you will be sure to leave with a camera full of memories to remind you of your escape into the wild.
On your multi-day kayak trips, you’ll be paddling where whale encounters are frequent along the coast!
Our guests enjoy amazing wildlife sightings from our remote, exclusive and comfortable base camp. Your kayak holiday will be one to remember. Since Orca Camp is located next to a reserve, you’ll be right in the playground of the whales, where they forage, travel, rest and socialize. Killer whales are frequently active at the surface, engaging in acrobatic behaviours such as breaching, spyhopping, and tail-slapping. These activities may have a variety of purposes, such as courtship, communication, or play.
The exclusive location for your eco tour on Vancouver Island is located in Johnstone Strait directly beside the Michael Biggs Robson Bight Ecological Reserve. British Columbia Parks protects this area from human interference with wildlife. After your experience, you’ll be able to say you went on a kayak camping trip in the middle of B.C. wilderness, where few have the privilege to go, and where whale watching holidays have a high success rate of seeing these majestic animals.
Camping trips require great wilderness facilities – we’ve got them!
Your comfort is of premium importance to us. We balance keeping the wilderness serene and untouched with the increased enjoyment guests have when they eat heartily and sleep well at night after spending days exploring.
During your all inclusive holiday, you will have access to:
- On-demand hot shower and washing up station
- Your own private safari tent (sleeps two) on elevated platforms with real cots (forget sleeping on the ground!) and warm bedding to keep you cozy at night.
- Gourmet meals, all included.
- Whale watching from B.C. shores, whales often feed near the kelp beds just meters from the beach!
- On-site knowledgeable staff to maximize your experience.
- Plus, our heated communal tent takes off the chill in the early morning, providing a great meeting place to enjoy meals and socialize or grab a snack.
Note: Cellphone reception is spotty in this neck of the woods, and there are no electrical outlets or Internet, but fear not, you will have lots to occupy your days and a chance to truly take a break.
Food, glorious food
There is nothing like a delicious meal in the great outdoors! Our cook takes pride in preparing wholesome, fresh meals. Local fare, including salmon and locally grown vegetables, are all part of our coastal cuisine. Special dietary requests are easy to accommodate, let us know any restrictions when booking and we will ensure that our cuisine meets your needs.
Orca Camp Activities
In addition to many opportunities to explore and kayak in search of Orcas, try:
- Fishing from the beach. Salmon are plentiful and can be seen leaping in the ocean in front of our beach for those who want to try their luck! We provide fishing rods to those who obtain a fishing license prior to the kayaking and camping trip.
- Hiking on camp trails. Trails lead you to hidden spots and beautiful views for private moments away from it all. Explore the temperate rainforest Orca Camp is situated in, whether finding a secluded spot along the creek, or into the forest amongst the fir trees and ancient cedars. Trails are all within earshot should you hear “ORCA!” being shouted from the beach!
- Catching photo ops. Photography opportunities abound, while on water or on land, so make sure your batteries are charged!
- Socializing and making new friends! Our common area has a selection of games, an outdoor chess/checker table and a library full of books about the area.
With all that we have in store for you, you’re gonna love Orca Camp!
Want to learn more?
Check out our Facebook page for the most recent news about Orca Camp and trip activities. If you “Like” us you will get to see what wildlife has been spotted and read updates from our guides about their latest tour. It’s a great way to stay up to date as you prepare for your upcoming kayak tour!